Monday, April 26, 2010

Stressed Out

So here it goes. I have been having some ups and downs with my health as of late. I've been doing the healthy eating kick for a while and incorporating moderate activity into my life, but can't seem to lose any weight and am constantly feeling under the weather.

Well about 2 + weeks ago I went in for a thyroid ultrasound, because my GI doc was concerned and wanted to make sure nothing was going on. 2 weeks go bye and I don't hear from her, I think all is cool and we'll discuss at our next appointment. 10:30 Friday morning my little world kinda went into a tail spin. Doc called with some "concern's" and wants to do a biopsy.

Naturally, I FREAK OUT.

My doc says I have two "nodules" on my thyroid, 1 that is internal and one that is on the left side and over 1cm big. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis a few years back and those little "nodules" are not my friends. With the type of thyroid problem I have I am 10x more likely to develop thyroid cancer. Yeah freaked out to say the least.

I've done some internet research and my doc has tried to calm my fears, but the truth remains, I won't know till late May what the results are. I have an appointment May 14th for the biopsy, in which they don't put my to sleep, just stick a lovely needle into my neck 4-5 times. I'm hoping my best friend will be there with me, because frankly I'm not sure I can handle it alone. Within a week, I should have my results and if it's positive....let's just say this girl is a fighter, but I am scared.

I'm not yet 30 and I still have a lot of living left in me. As my grandmother always said, "Never give up, never surrender." I know she is watching over me and will get me through this.

1 comment:

  1. I never heard then having Hashimoto’s thyroiditis increases risk of developing thyroid cancer 10 fold! Even if the nodule 1 cm has blood flow it has 20% chance of being cancerous; if biopsy indicates abundant colloid, foamy macrophages and absence of micro follicular pattern will favor benign result.
    Best of luck

    ReplyDelete