Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Homemade Beef & Mushroom Stew

Ahhhhh!!!!! Comfort Food!!!!!

Growing up my mom always made soups and stews and chili's to feed the family. They were always delicious and filling...so tonight I made my own in the Crockpot.

Wild Mushroom Beef Stew (serves 5)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 to 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1/2 TSP salt
1/2 TSP black pepper
1 1/2 cups of beef broth
1 TSP Worcestershire sauce
1 glove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp paprika
4 shitake mushrooms, sliced*
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium red potatoes, diced
1 small white onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced

*If shitake mushrooms are unavailable, substitute other mushrooms of your choice.*

Directions:

1. Place beef in 4 1/2-quart CrockPot slow cooker. Mix together flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle over beef. Stir to coat each piece of beef with flour.

2. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover; cook on LOW 10-12 hours or on HIGH 4-6 hours. Stir stew before serving.

Notes:

I used regular white mushrooms and just cleaned and cut them in half for a thicker mushroom base (as I love mushrooms). Also I forgot to add the garlic which became clear when I ate it, but it was still delicious. I also added a 1/2 cup of red wine to the batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment